Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently finishing up a homebrew version of Battle Line with a Simpson's theme. My inspiration for doing this was looking at some of kilgore's homebrew card designs. I find them to be quite amazing...

It has turned out much better than I thought. Some of the Simpson's characters fit perfectly as "renamed" tactics. "Fog" now becomes "drunk" with a picture of barney with a beer, "Scout" is called "Pick" with a picture of Ralph picking his nose, etc. I was also able to find quite a few picture of escilating weapons wielded by Simpson's characters.

I wouldn't mind posting a pdf of the cards, but I'm not sure if this is allowed since I copy/pasted the various pictures from the internet (I'm a horrible artist). Once I finish in the next couple days I will definitely post some snapshots of a game in progress..

One other idea I had, was that rather than capturing "flags", capture "donuts". My initial thought was to print out various donut pictures on cardstock, laminate, and use. Although I would really like to find little plastic donuts to give it just the right feel. If anyone has seen something like this please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably find little wooden rings at a craft store. Just blob on some pink paint icing and maybe some glitter sprinkles.

If you don't end up posting them here, I'd love to get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
That sounds great! I liked Battle Line but didn't care for the art. I'd love you see the final product too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a picture of the preliminary deck to give people a feel for what it looks like. My color laser printer is a bit messed up (smears the bottom of the page) so there are some artifacts that don't exist in the design. Also, I still have some cleanup to complete before I upload...

Feedback welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! They look great!

I say post em'...I think if you aren't selling them it ok to show us your handywork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

Have you considered using a font that emulates Matt Groening's distinctive hand lettering, such as Akbar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Egggggggcellent! devil

I love the overall design. I agree that using the Akbar font might be add a nice touch. I'm not sure if it's just the camera, but the indigo hue looks like it should probably be pushed a little more towards violet. The red, green, and brown, all at similar saturation and value, might be tricky for colorblind folks. The red and green really look great, though, and wouldn't want to change it. I'd probably at least swap the brown for orange.

At any rate, great stuff, and I look forward to seeing the final version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marcus,

Wow! The cards look great. I had an idea for your donuts. How about painting some cheerios. Maybe to small.

Great job!

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I have been struggling with the color palet. I will give orange a try and see if that is a better differentiator. I'll also try the Akbar font, but probably won't use it for the shaded background as it is not BOLD enough. Should have my first ready for upload version this weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharkus wrote:
One other idea I had, was that rather than capturing "flags", capture "donuts". My initial thought was to print out various donut pictures on cardstock, laminate, and use. Although I would really like to find little plastic donuts to give it just the right feel. If anyone has seen something like this please let me know.

How about instead of doughnuts, you use bottles of Duff Beer?

You could use little wooden bottles like these and paint and label them to look like Duff Beer.

[q]To alcohol: the cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems.
-- Homer Simpson, Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment (4F15)[/i]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beauty idea on the beer. Duf painted Bottlecaps might be the ticket...

I just uploaded the Rev 1.0 pdf with the cards. I ended up keeping the font the same, but changed the brown to orange for better differentiation.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
WPB
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Edward,

Great Idea on the Duff Beer!

Eddie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... It has been a couple days and the pdf upload has still not been approved. I'm not sure if that is a bad sign or perhaps the mods are really busy right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Looks like it got approved and is available. I also fixed a couple typos in Rev 1.1 the day after I uploaded 1.0. I was hoping that 1.0 would be skipped to avoid the embarrasment. At least only the last page will need to be reprinted with the fixed cards.

I'm also working on a Simpson themed game board and player aid.

-Sharkus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, these are great!

What type of card/paper stock would one need for printing playing cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kellerman
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfunk wrote:
Wow, these are great!

I use a color laser with plain paper, although inkjet would also work okay. Get some MTG card sleeves with playing cards as backing. Works very nicely. (See my readme at the end of the pdf for some details.)

There are also some ideas in the forums floating around you might want to check out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169091

-Sharkus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grognard David
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi

Great work !!!

This game is perfect for a lot of other themes : Star Wars, Starcraft, Pirates, manga ...

yesss

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wendt
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!, great cards, just finished printing and should be playing with them by the weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
I don't see Lisa anywhere. Why not change one of the two Barts into his sister. Take this for ex:

http://www.simpsons.nl/grabpics.php?image=lisaschopt.gif

http://www.simpsons.nl/grabpics.php?image=lisaskeleton.gif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
sharkus wrote:
Pfunk wrote:
Wow, these are great!

I use a color laser with plain paper, although inkjet would also work okay. Get some MTG card sleeves with playing cards as backing. Works very nicely. (See my readme at the end of the pdf for some details.)

There are also some ideas in the forums floating around you might want to check out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169091

-Sharkus

Wow, this is so cool. I've been having trouble getting my daughter to try new games, and this is just what I need to lure her in.

I'm not familiar with card sleeves - I looked around at Amazon, but there seems to be quite a variety and price range. Can someone point me to some that are the correct size and sufficient quality? I assume you can shuffle easily with these things on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gentlemen, start ... your ... whacking!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.